Root Canal Therapy
Root Canal Therapy in Newark, Ohio
When decay or infection develops or spreads inside a tooth, a root canal also known as endodontic therapy is often performed to repair it and keep the tooth from dying and having to be removed.
With root canal treatment, Newark Dental Associates saves the tooth by cleaning out the damaged areas and surrounding decay, and then filling the space to restore the tooth to its full use.
Root Canals have a bad reputation for being painful in the past but thanks to advances in modern dental anesthesia this could not be further from the truth. Our expert dentists make sure that you are fully numb before beginning the procedure. We utilize rubber dam isolation to prevent you from having to taste any of our materials as well as protect you from breathing in any old silver filling materials or decay we remove. The whole process is painless and comfortable.
What You Should Know About Root Canal Therapy
A root canal procedure requires one or more appointments. During the first appointment:
- We numb your tooth before any work is begun.
- An opening is made on top of the tooth.
- The infected pulp and nerve tissue are removed from inside the tooth.
- It is then cleaned and disinfected, and a filling is used to seal the opening.
- After a root canal a crown is recommended for premolars and molars. These teeth take a lot of biting force and require the strength of a crown following a root canal.
Our staff will provide you with complete instructions for preparing for surgery and proper care after the treatment.