Dental Bridges in Newark, Ohio
Newark Dental Associates may suggest that you need a bridge to restore and enhance damaged teeth or to replace missing teeth. Dental bridges literally bridge the gap caused by one or more missing teeth, where one or more artificial teeth are cemented into place using the teeth on either side for support. Bridges are very durable and can last a lifetime with extra care and by practicing good oral hygiene.
What You Should Know About Dental Bridges
Bridges require at least two appointments. During the first appointment:
- We numb your tooth before any work is begun.
- Areas are cleaned thoroughly and any decay removed.
- Enamel from the two “anchor” teeth is removed to allow for a crown.
- An impression (or “mold”) is made to create your custom bridge.
- A temporary bridge is then created from the mold and installed with temporary cement.
- You will wear this temporary bridge while a dental laboratory creates your beautiful final restoration (approximately two to three weeks).
During the second appointment:
- The temporary bridge is removed.
- The area is thoroughly cleaned again.
- The permanent fixed bridge is fitted onto your teeth.
- In some situations, the fixed bridge is first installed with temporary cement to allow surrounding teeth and tissue to adapt to the bridge, before it is permanently affixed at a later appointment.
Our staff will provide you with complete instructions on how to properly care for your new bridge, including proper oral hygiene practices and appropriate eating habits.